View Single Post
¡Damned!

2014-09-12, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
10 blocks to a segment; 20 segments to an arm (200-block length); 12 arms (4 radials plus 8 connecting the outer perimeter); 1 Spawn Cube; miscellaneous crap and bits.

Making the segments 10 blocks long is not only prettier, but genius in terms of material calculations. Sort out what it costs to make a single segment; multiply that by 20, then that by 12.

As an FYI, there are roughly 240 segments. (which is actually less than the current system, due to no diagonals.

However, I may build that inner ring (halfway between Spawn and the perimeter) which would add about 80 additional segments—an additional cost of about 33%.
I still think we should plan on around an extra 20% (and I've been kind've keeping that in mind as I drop off loot for the build). Since there's only a handful of us being vocal and pushing for this I think it's our responsibility to rebuild the player portals sooner rather than later, like before all the arms are even finished.

When 1.8 finally gets here there will be the inevitable player-spike, and I'd hate to have Lynn or Spec or whoever enter their home portal and get ghast-blasted and/or burned-up just because we wanted to make the Nether sexier.

So it goes.