View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-11, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
You got a point there...but ever since the Titaniums were introduced, I've thought Apple was getting a bit too much form over function. They claimed the physical strengths of the Ti's, and less so with the Aluminums.

I harken back to those black Lombards. While heavy, they were tanks that could take quite a beating. No scuff marks. Perhaps there's a middle ground between durability and sexyness.
If you recall, Apple claimed the strength of the G4 Powermacs until just shortly before the end of their production run. I would guess that Apple is no longer touting the strength of the PowerBook line because they are nearing the end of the production run and are gearing up for a new release.

By the way, keep in mind that Carbon Fiber objects of the complexity required for a PowerBook are difficult to mass-manufacture and would be extremely expensive. While Carbon Fiber is very light and very strong, the strength/weight ratio would likely be offset by the high price. I don't think there are many Mac faithful who would like to see the return of the $4000.00 plus PowerBook. In fact that kind of pricing would likely kill the forward momentum Apple has created in the PowerBook line.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)