View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-06-29, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
The choice is clear; you bribe someone. Don't you live in the Chicago area anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

"The building inspector pulls a report, you pull out a wad of cash. That's the Chicago way."

Yah I think the bribe would cost a lot more than the fees I'm trying to avoid unfortunately. Maybe there's a drunk at the local town hall and I could bribe them with a case of beer.

To clarify, the old pavers are going to be picked up, crappy ones (that were cut wrong) tossed, foundation will be shored up if there are any problems (recompacting the gravel, etc) and then a mix of new and old pavers laid down on the same exact spot plus a small perimeter extension. That and a crappy stoop step the guy didn't do a cement pour for, will be given a cement pour and tie-in to the main stoop. Nothing electrical, nothing with water, nothing permanently attached to the side of the house.

I called the village from my cell phone and asked some vague questions. They said that "normally they wouldn't but because the contractor might alter the foundation of the patio base that they need to see scope of work, inspect the base before they put the pavers down, then inspect again after they're done to 'protect you' and make sure they're doing a good job." RIGHT. Like if their work falls apart after 24 months the village permit is going to do ANYTHING to protect me, on account of them saying it was "done to code". Is there even "code" for how you lay a gravel paver foundation? That sounds like total bullshit to me.

Electrical code, plumbing code, fire code, structural code for a house... I get all that. Paver code? Bullshit! This is the city trying to make money, no different than parking tickets.

...into the light of a dark black night.