View Single Post
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-04-19, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeah, I forgot to add "The DaVinci Code" earlier.

I read the book about two weeks ago (all in one shot on a Sunday, go figure). I know it'll have various sides all up in arms and whining, but it was an okay book. I've heard it all before, the basic gist/plot grabber.

But having read it, I'm curious to see how closely the movie does - or doesn't - follow it. I'm a little Tom Hanks-ed out at this point, but Ian McKellan is in it, as is Jean Reno. And I like them both.

And I figure the cinematography and locations shown will be nice to look at.
Ok, so I watched The Da Vinci Code three times over the past two days at work and I have to say - it's really pretty good.
Not, "OMG, Best movie of the year!", but quite good overall.

Like you guessed, pscates, visually beautiful on the whole and the locations in France (Le Louvre, the Rose Line and some lovely old churches especially) are wonderful.
Hans Zimmer's score is good, but it really shines at the climax.

I don't think that people will get too "up in arms" about the subject material of the film because of the way it's presented.
With Hanks debating one side and McKellan the other, the film presents the information and lets you decide what you want to believe.
Jean Reno is great and believable as usual. Paul Bettany is fantastic.

On my second viewing I noticed some very interesting shot choices and effects. One in particular was so subtle and quite brilliant.
People who know the book may catch it on the first viewing, but I had to grab the controller, roll back and look at the video frame by frame.
A really nice moment, but I'll wait until the film is released to do the spoiler box thingy.