View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-18, 09:54

Years ago I was a smoker while in the Navy. We used to have to smoke in a space called the "starboard windbreak". I've marked it in this picture which you can click on for one that's larger without the box. This is the ship I was stationed on when I was almost completely washed over the side by some of those waves in the videos washing down the side. The ship will issue a "secure the weather decks" during heavy seas so those who temp fate like me don't get washed over the side.

Basically you can't smoke inside the ships so they make you some outside now. There are watertight doors between the starboard break and the interior so it was designated the smoking area (along with the fantail when not under heavy seas). It was common for the aft break doors to be open because 20 men and women smoking in a space the size of a small garage sucks. I was sitting on the refueling station with others when a wave crashed on the side of the ship. It washed me over the side up to my armpits. If the rails weren't there I wouldn't be typing this now. The others that got thrown into the life lines were able to pull be up and get us all back into the break before the next wave hit.

I didn't push that line again...much.

Anyway, my wife got me this after hearing the story:

So for Afterlife I found this gem of a breakdown video. Sure some of it is speculation, but the connection to the original movies is really cool when you see someone lay it out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.