View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-28, 19:12

I tired of the Marvel stuff pretty quick, although I enjoyed the first Iron Man movie (damn near perfect "comic book" movie/origin story, almost as enjoyable as Batman Begins) and I love all the Captain America entries. That's the only character I really liked, just because he was so good/virtuous, a man out of his time. None of that tortured, grey-area "woe is me...I've got all these powers and life sucks" nonsense that seems to mark every other superhero in recent years/decades. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I don't want to see superheroes all emo and conflicted. That's so clichéd at this point anyway.

But other than that, I couldn't care less about any of the others or other movies (and I saw 'em all). Fact is, you saw one Marvel flick, you pretty much saw them all (the stuntwork, three-point landings, the humor/tone, the bombast and unhinged destruction and huge scale of everything, the shaky attempts at actual drama or tear-jerking, etc.).

I checked out, mentally/emotionally/damn-giving after about 2011-2012.

Having said all that, I'd sit through the worst Marvel movies five times before I'll ever watch one of these stupid-ass SW sequel trilogy movies again. But I guess most here have figured that out. It did feel like there was a cohesive, for the most part, feel and a building to something amongst the Marvel movies, despite different directors, characters, timelines, etc. that were involved. I think there was indeed a big, sprawling master plan (and it showed). I can respect that, just from a storytelling/logistical perspective. It was quite impressive, what Marvel pulled off from 2011-2019! I can't deny that. Poor DC/WB has been trying to play catchup/"us too!" for years, and it's just pathetic because you can tell, like Star Wars, they're just winging it and making each new installment a response to how the previous one was received by viewers. That's lame, gutless moviemaking, IMO.

It was as good at that as the SW sequels were bad...there's zero throughput from TFA, TLJ and TROS. If I didn't know the story/lore and went into SW totally cold, other than a handful of characters, you could never convince me that these three movies from 2015-2019 were three installments of the same overall story/arc.

So, yeah...Marvel excelled at the things - a couple of big ones, in fact - that SW sucked at. For the most part, they exhibited more of a cohesive arc and connection to one another over 11 years (and about 300 movies ) than SW did over four years/three movies.

Think about that!

Quite an accomplishment for the former, quite damning for the latter.