View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 11:48

That's so funny about the Geico lizard and Gary Sinise. My friend says he looks like Kenny Chesney.

But he is kinda cute (the lizard, not Chesney). I noticed that little stumble he does, leaning against the tree. It is good animation and his voice/accent is funny. Not sure what it has to do with anything, but they don't make me want to leave the room (not yet, anyway...everything gets old at some point).

I generally like funny commercials. And truly FUNNY, in the purest sense of the word...NOT ironic, postmodern hipster bullcrap with grungy-haired slacker types in ringer T-shirts discussing life, women, beer, cell phones, food, auto parts, etc.. Or doing "Jackass" type stunts or whatever. Ugh. As I approach 40, I'm realizing I hate everyone under 30.

I like those commercials for Kohler faucets. Makes me want to buy a new sink (and ain't that the point, when you get right down to it)?

For humor/entertainment value, I enjoy nothing more than the parade of prescription medication commercials flooding the airwaves these days...just to hear the "possible side effects", which are always 50x worse than the initial ailment they seek to cure.

Minor sniffles or dry eyes? Take Driciconel LM. But beware: your bowels may collapse and drain from your ears, your skin takes on a greenish hue, your testicles descend an additional 14 inches and you might get headaches, blurry vision and uncontrollable gas. But hey, no more sniffles!

I like commercials with pretty girls who don't act like they're pretty (that pretty much goes for real life as well, now that I think about it). That cutie-pie on the Tic Tac commercials, doing the tongue juggling or balancing act...oh my.

I hate beer commercials because they've all degenerated into crass, "go for the easy, obvious joke" lameness.

I like a lot of car commercials. Ones that do something unique and different, instead of the tired "driving on a curvy road really fast" shots. I hate the cars themselves, but those spots with those little boxy cars that change into different variations of themselves is captivating. The animation is awesome.

Oh, and I despise commercials that do the ultra heavy-handed diversity thing and just seem to go out of their way to "fill the slots", lest they came across as less than inclusive. If there are four friends hanging out - can be anywhere: boat dock, night club, traffic court, funeral home, etc. - you'll have a white chick, black guy, Asian girl and a darker, olive skinned, black-haired guy of undetermined origin (could be Italian, could be from Mexico...it's a catch-all look). And all of them have teeth whiter than the brightest spot on the sun and are a bit too excited to be eating a shared bag of potato chips or snack crackers. Nobody is that deliriously happy over a Nabisco product, so just stop it. You look silly.

Oh, and here's one more: I hate commercials - ANY commercial - in a movie theater (we covered this in that other thread, but it bears repeating).