View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-15, 17:16

I see that happening before Apple ever putting out an actual TV set.

I still don't understand the appeal, or reason, of them getting into that racket. Not when they can already control or "fix" everything via a small box and software (even if the current tv isn't perfect, future ones can certainly be). In the space it would take them to transport and store ONE 42" TV, they can fit dozens of their current (or future) tv devices.

Furthermore, Apple isn't going to create some magical, perfect-for-everyone size, to account for everyone's viewing habits/preferred distances, furniture and room layouts, eyesight, budget, etc. So once you realize and accept that very basic and true statement, then you're automatically into that realm of them making several different sized models.

Does anyone truly imagine that happening? Put aside what you want, and just think about it from practical manufacturing, transportation and stocking perspectives. I'd be shocked beyond words if they ever jump into that pool...

I do, however, expect better, ever-improving tv units for years to come.

I don't think Steve Jobs was talking about anything beyond software or an improved peripheral/attachment when he spoke of "cracking" the TV problem. Because that's all that is required. Apple making TV sets creates more problems and questions than it solves and answers, IMO.

This is a unique thing and you can't apply the cell phone model/approach to it. If Apple could've sold a tiny thing that attached to current, shitty cell phones in 2007 that made them suddenly work and act like an iPhone, they would've. That required a ground-up approach.

I don't think a TV does. It's not the screen and the hardware people bitch about or have trouble with, so why do they need to try and outdo - or compete with - all the rest?

I think the solution lies within iOS, tv, a smart remote of some sort, all connected online, etc. Not a big stupid silver TV set with an Apple logo on it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-10-15 at 17:27.