Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-27, 10:49

It does look nice. I still don't think I'd ever get one (and if I did, I believe my choice, in order, would be: silver, green, orange), but those new iMacs look 10x nicer than I ever imagined they would. Can't wait to start seeing new pics, demo units in stores, etc.

Speaking of which (I'm nowhere near an Apple Store so I don't know how quickly/often they go about this), when do you think they'll switch over to those being their in-store display/demo units? Because that will require a lot of new 24" iMacs, all over the U.S. and around the world (there are so many Apple Stores). But I assume they know this and probably manufacture a big batch on the front end, especially for that?

Because what if every store is to have every color available?! That quickly gets into a boatload of machines! When they were all just silver, who cares? No big deal. But now?!?**

But that's exactly what they did back in the jellybean iMac days. I think the fruit phase was over by the time the Apple Stores came to be, but I seem to recall seeing the Ruby, Sage, Indigo, Snow, Graphite and the two pattern models in Apple Stores way back in those early days (I know for a fact I saw the two patterns, along with Indigo, Snow and Graphite). They'd have them all sitting out on tables and on that short little table in the kids area, so I wonder if they're looking to have all seven (including silver) placed into every store?

This is where that inventory/shipping/stocking thing I talked about upthread will start to come into play. Holy smokes, they went and created quite a logistical torture chamber for themselves.

BTW, don't forget to toss in the trackpad, mice and keyboards in matching colors too. They couldn't even leave those silver!

**Quick math: it seems there are 511 Apple Stores worldwide x 7 different iMac colors...that's 3,577 iMacs needed just to outfit every Apple Store in existence with the full range of new iMac colors for display. And that's just assuming one each is enough. And that's also not counting their partners like Best Buy and others. Even here in small, out-of-the-way Chattanooga, our big Best Buy store out near the mall has a really nice little dedicated Apple section, with all the latest Macs on display, at least one of each; I know these won't get all the colors, but they'll surely get 1-2 for display (silver and maybe some random color, with little 1" two-toned anodized samples affixed to the table to show off the others? So toss that into the mix as well. And then we also have a Simply Mac (formerly Mac Authority) store at the mall, with a boatload of display units (at least 6-8 iMacs, from my last visit). And didn't that story come out a while back about how Target is also going to be carrying Macs as well?

I could see them just putting a few random colors into every store, and then some sort of swatch/sample display to convey the others? But that just doesn't sound Apple-y at all to me. They'll want all seven, in fully bloom/display, in each of their retail stores, I'm betting. The third-party partners will get whatever they get, and like it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-27 at 11:17.