Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 10:04

Okay, that orange is really nice.

Shocking, I know, for me to say that.

Still, I think I'd be happier with the silver, over the long run (and with me, owning computers is a long run...4-6 years, minimum). I think silver will age better, and I'd feel better about it all, 3-4 years down the road. The colors just looked better on that translucent, rounded plastic two decades ago than they do on aluminum, IMO. It's just not the same to me, in overall appeal. The jellybean shape probably had a lot to do with it, as well. With the G3 iMacs, you had the overall shape/roundness, translucency, glossiness, little accent areas (the foot, speaker covering, logo), etc. all working together so nicely. Just making something flat/straight and opaque a color seems a bit "less than", IMO. It's missing a lot of what made the jellybean iMacs so gorgeous.

I think all that is why I'm not totally sold on the 24" iMac coloring. They look nice, but they just don't grab me as those original iMacs did. It seems a bit lazier and less inspired (is that the right phrase?). I was also ~22 years younger too, so that factors in as well. At 52, I don't see anything the way I once did, at 30.

Believe 'dat shit.

But it's sure nice to look at, no doubt. I just don't think I'd want to own one in a color, that's all. But I like those Jason Snell pics. A nice shade of orange, but I bet it would dominate a room based on the placement and your other decor!

Nice to see these reviews popping up, and some real life pics/video. Been waiting for this for a few weeks.

PS - Yeah, Jason Snell snuck in a pic of that upside-down charging mouse every chance he got. That made me chuckle. It is weird that Apple couldn't put that Lightning charging port in the front, where a normal wired mouse cable would go, so once could actually still use the thing while charging. That's just going to be one of those things like the Apple logo being upside-down on those older G3(?) PowerBooks back in the day. Something goofy that should've been corrected immediately, but manages to hang around for years.