View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-15, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What would it cost you to do so?

It's been three years (introduced in September 2018) and a three-generation processor jump (plus all the other things they announced yesterday).

Why not?

I'll never be a "new iPhone every year" (or even two years) kinda guy, but three years (or more) is certainly reasonable and makes for a noticeable, "worth it" improvement in performance, camera, battery life and all the rest. Plus, right out of the box, you've got double the storage. That's always nice.

If I were in your shoes, considering all the above, I'd totally do it, especially if it cost under $500 to do so (that part I don't know).

EDIT: Looks like Apple is offering $240 trade-in value for an Xs in good condition. Shakes out to $459 if I'm doing everything right. I'd definitely do it, to replace a three-year-old iPhone with a brand new, just-announced flagship model (in a nice, compact size) for $60 more than you'd pay for a lowly SE.

PS - If you were sitting on an iPhone 12 (or even 11), I probably wouldn't be such a devil on your shoulder...but a three-year-old phone? That's prime upgrade time, IMO. That's the sweet spot of a) not being ridiculous like Paul and keep phones for five-plus years, but b) three years is enough gap to appreciate the benefits/improvements (1-2 years, IMO, just isn't).
I don't have any pressing need for a newer phone, my the only reason at all to switch is the size. I cannot count how many times I've had to get into an awkward position on the job, only to be jabbed by this phone. I'm not a heavy user when it comes to my phone, it's used to take photos of my work for clients, file work reports to my businesses website (for the clients), web surfing during my lunch break, GPS to get to new clients, so it's not a CPU/GPU power thing. I don't game on my phone, or run Photoshop, so I don't care about that. Storage space isn't a big deal, I have 12.7GB free out of the 64GB (although I do have a good bit of stuff on iCloud & Dropbox, which helps). Let's put it this way, the phone never feels slow, the only thing making it slow is the poor reception from my carrier, but a new phone won't fix that. Here in Canada the phones are priced differently, so it would be $669+tax with a trade in. Still might be worth while anyway. It's not a huge priority, I won't be rushing to an Apple store in the next month to get one, but maybe next spring. Then I think of the size issue again, typing a work report on one of those smaller screen phones again would be painful. You cannot win I tell you!