Thread: Safari 15
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-22, 05:59

What I love about the new tabs stuff:
  • Tab Groups, at least in principle. I wasn't able to test those in the betas, because sync between devices is only active now. It looks like they're retroactively syncing now, i.e. one I've created in the betas now appear on all devices. Nice. How do I use them? Basically as workspaces for unfinished, long-running tasks — I create a group to research something, like say to do comparison shopping. I can then go away from the group and return to it later. A bit like a live bookmarks folder.
  • (On iOS) swiping between them like swiping between apps. It sometimes triggers the wrong of the two; maybe they'll fine-tune that a little or maybe my muscle memory will improve.
  • (On iOS) swiping from the right-most tab to create a new one. Not a huge thing but nice.

What I don't particularly love:
  • The colors. Turned them off. They're not a huge deal but I don't find them attractive in most cases. I think I kind of like the contrast: tabs should be part of the UI and look distinctly different from the page, so you know they're part of how you use Safari.
  • The style, especially on macOS (I suppose also iPadOS?). They don't look like tabs, and Apple has apparently now done a 180 on what something active looks like. It used to be for three decades that active stuff is darker, but then Big Sur turned that around and made active stuff brighter (which, uh, OK?). But now Safari goes back and makes the active tab brighter?