Thread: Text editors
View Single Post
noleli2

2017-03-09, 16:28

We seem to be in a bit of a dark ages when it comes to native macOS, code-oriented editors for Mac. Here’s my take; I’d love to year your thoughts.

The Big Two right now aren’t Mac-native, but are Sublime and Atom.

Sublime Text

Pros
  • Compiled binary (as opposed to web)
  • Fast (see ^)
  • Small (see ^^)
  • Reasonable hackable
  • Decent community/ecosystem

Cons
  • Proprietary
  • Poor package management
  • Infrequent updates
  • Native, but not Cocoa

Atom

Pros
  • Libre
  • Good package management
  • Very hackable
  • Very active community/ecosystem

Cons
  • Absurd use of web tech (only to be outdone by Hyper)
  • Huge (see ^)
  • Slow (see ^^)
  • Very obviously non–Mac-like

There are also a bunch of Mac-specific editors, many of which have been around for a while.

SubEthaEdit used to be my go-to until I started using Sublime four years ago or so. It’s very Mac-like, but infrequently updated and isn’t extensible in the way Sublime is.

I was never really that into BBEdit. I tried it probably close to 10 years ago and found it very obviously Carbon. The same was true of BB’s recently-EOLed TextWrangler.

TextMate was the editor for Mac for much of the time I was using SubEthaEdit. I got on that train very briefly, just in time for it to fizzle out. Now it seems to be in limbo between proprietary and open-source, and dead and alive.

I’ve heard Smultron is a thing, though I’ve never used it.

Since the heyday of Adium, Colloquy, and Cyberduck, I feel like native, Mac-specific open source projects haven’t really existed. I was hoping Swift would change that situation, but it doesn’t seem to have.

Anyway, those are my ramblings on text editors. What do you use and why?