View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 16:53

Today is Woody Allen's 70th birthday. And the old codger is still making movies!

Has anyone seen his latest film, Match Point? I saw the Apple trailer and was really looking forward to it, especially as it shows off London's rapidly developing South Bank, but it sadly didn't live up to my expectations when I watched it last month.

I think the actors were overawed by the stature of their director, because there are instances of palpable uncertainty in the acting that let the film down. Also, Chris is a poorly developed character: the supposed ambition on which the story hinges is inadequately portrayed. And Scarlett Johansson is a real disappointment. She is crude and vulgar, a far cry from her perfect performance in Lost in Translation.

Does anyone feel very differently? Match Point received a standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival so the critics obviously like it. And interestingly, the people in the French cinema where I watched it were very impressed. Am I and the odd one out here? And if so, is it because I'm British?