View Single Post
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-12-01, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I saw Bananas just last weekend and it was hilarious. One of my favorite things about Woody Allen movies is how they so closely mimic Charlie Chaplin. There was actually a scene in the movie that was completely silent except for a piano in the background, where Woody tried to stop a pair of thugs (one of whom was played by Sylvester Stallone). He even had Chaplin's "innocent" expression and body language down perfectly.

Yeah, Woody Allen is awesome. He's kind of a freak, but then, so was Charlie Chaplin. It's interesting how they both also tended to form romantic relationships with their co-stars (or they made their lovers into their co-stars, I'm not sure which way it worked). Either way, his movies are funny and ridiculous.
Watch any Bob Hope movie from the forties, and that is pretty much the persona that he plays in (his earlier funnier films*) all his pre-Manhattan films, and a few after that, nervous nellie always quick with a line.
I never noticed the Chaplin thing before but you're right Luca, there are a lot of Chaplinesque moments in Sleeper also.

*in Stardust Memories his character is an ex comedian turned filmaker attending a retrospective of his movies and people keep coming up to his character saying, "Oh Sandy Bates! I love your work, especially your early funny films!"

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Last edited by SKMDC : 2005-12-02 at 17:51.