View Single Post
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-02, 22:18

It is a nice idea, but it would be hard for apple to pull off. It would require an additional assembly line completely separate from any other product, it would come priced at a premium (starting at say $2499 to $3999?), and it would reduce demand for the 17" PowerBook--an EXTREMELY high-margin product.

So, for a large investment apple would gain a machine that would probably have very little demand.

It reminds me of the cube. I don't think Apple would be willing to risk something like that happening again unless market share increases significantly. In fact, I'd go as far as saying we will not see a "premium" notebook line (or really ANY radical notebook design, IE tablets) until market share pops up above 5% again.

With desktops, the barrier to entry for a new line is MUCH lower due to cheaper parts, easier quality control, and easy adoption of older designs. Notebooks do not have these advantages.

Hypothetically, it is a good idea. 17" and 20" display sizes, 4 Ram slots, dual hard drive options, and 64-bit dual-processor options. It would be the luxury SUV of the computer industry.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)