View Single Post
defaultmike

2005-02-06, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor
You're describing an iMac G5 portable, not a PowerBook. Take an iMac and put a hinge on it with the screen on oneside and a keyboard on the other. Right now it can not be made any thinner or lighter than that. Now would you buy it?

As a desktop replacement, I like the idea of changing the iMac, not the Powerbook. I've seen beautiful Sony Viaos that my smart PC friends are buying as desktop replacements. They are heavy, have expansive docks and glass displays. Nice things for a desktop. They may move them once/month. Make an iMac where the stand can fold inside and out of the way and figure out a way to cover, protect the screen during the few times you do move it, then it will do what you want.

To get the market you are describing is much easier from the iMac side than from the PowerBook side....technically anyway.

I just hope that good LCD's become cheap enough that you can have several in the house and just move the Mac Mini around!!!! Cheaper, more stable, etc....the MacPod.
I don't honestly see the difference between a portable iMac, and what I'm describing. Yeah, it'd be 1.5" thick, which is close to the iMac's 2inches, but what do I care? As long as it's in laptop form, call it portable iMac or call it ubberMac. As long as it gets made, I couldn't care less...

Although I have to admit, I have no clue what you meant about the whole "iMac as a desktop replacement" thing... I could swear that the iMac was a desktop computer........