View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-07-25, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's hip to hate Starbucks, presumably because everyone thinks that hipsters love them (hint: they don't), but I'll drop the coffee snobbery and be totally, 100% honest here: They're not bad. While I'll always prefer my favorite local houses (who wouldn't?), if I'm new in town (or out of town) I'm definitely going to choose a Starbucks over a Dunkin' Donuts (oh yes, I went there) or an effing McCafé. (I know as a former Minnesotan I'm supposed to love Caribou Coffee, but I just don't, sorry.) And for people not fortunate enough to live near an "honest" coffeehouse a Starbucks provides a decent enough approximation: they play good (if not local) music, their staff is unequivocally friendly, and they're just quiet and noisy and empty and busy enough to comfortably vanish into whatever you're reading (or writing). In other words, they have their place.

That, not some cultish Starbucks loyalty, is the biggest problem facing the McCafé concept. Starbucks has the sizable advantage of not having a playplace in the middle of the store. It seems like whatever hour I go to a McDonald's, there are always screaming children there; McDonald's is most directly marketed at children, after all. Throw in the constant beeping of the drive-thru timer (punctuated only by commercials for McDonald's over the radio) and seats designed to encourage you to leave quickly and you have, well, McDonald's. They're a place very few people would actually choose to hang out at, but they're desperately trying to convince the world that all you pay for at Starbucks is the name on the cup, honest!
I disagree. If you’re just looking for a place to read or write, then Starbucks is fine. But as far as actual good coffee, Starbucks doesn’t even come close. They use over-roasted beans which are months old by the time they reach the store, have no control over the timing of their espresso machines, the coffee always ends up with an airpot taste and, my least favorite, it isn’t drinkable without a crapton of milk and high-fructose corn syrup. Coffee should be black and espresso shouldn’t be smothered in 24oz of milk!

</purist>

Yeah, if you don’t have a choice, it’s better than nothing, that’s a given. But I still wouldn’t call it “not bad."