View Single Post
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-28, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I think a lot of bad press will come from geeks that somehow thought this was going to be more of a computer than an oversized iPod Touch.

My own take on this thing is that it is really a consumer toy. It is aimed squarely at the teen generation who want to be able to couch surf. Folks who want be able to keep one eye on the tv watching 'X Factor' and the other checking their facebook and Twitter.
It's not a computer - it doesn't even have file system access.

It's the perfect toy for the 'ten second attention span' of the Internet generation.

It will sell by the millions.
Bitter much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I know this is a popular sentiment around here, but I disagree with it. If applications for computers could have effectively managed files for us from the very beginning then we never would have had need for direct file management/access. Stripping that component away really makes operating a computer much easier.

Think about iTunes. Would the iPod really have been as useable by so many people if you had to manually organize your music, and then get into the file system to select and synch items? I don't think so. Personally, I don't give a rip where or how iTunes organizes my songs, I just want a nice interface for finding/synching/playing them.

I think the future of computers - at least for the average user - is a future without file system access/management. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

Excellent point, and I completely agree. I think there will always be access available for those who want it, but even Macs in the future will deemphasize the Finder and Apple and non-Apple apps will handle file management. It is precisely because of iTunes (automatic organization) and the clickwheel (fast access) that made the iPod a hit.

However, I do understand the confusion over this by some, especially on Macs and why Apple wants to avoid making a "tablet Mac". iPhoto is to this day being second-guessed as a photo management app, not because it lack robust tools of pro apps but because people keep thinking they have to go back and organize photos in the Finder *as well as* organize them in iPhoto. This is why Apple eventually locked people out of the iPhoto library, but it is still a source of frustration. It's like even having a Finder actually exacerbates the problem.

Access to files in this and future products will be is through indexing and metadata, not manual folder and file management.