View Single Post
RyanPaige

2010-01-28, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Maybe there actually is something to the notion that the iPad just simply isn't 'for' us, at all. It's for our parents, or our young children, or basically anyone who is 'new' to technology, or otherwise uninterested in tech and only interested in what it can do for them. Maybe it is going to be the Wii of the computing world... (I know I said otherwise in this thread, but as I've been thinking about it...)
I'm not at all new to technology and I'm certainly not a young child, but I am really only interested in what technology does for me, and from what I've seen of the iPad so far, it looks like something I would have a lot of use for.

I can see using it as a web browser/reading device around the house - in the living room when my wife is watching some awful reality show that she's addicted to or in the bedroom when she's trying to go to sleep and I am not ready to go to sleep.

I can see using it as a web/reading device while waiting for/sitting on the train.

I can see using it as a media device - in the car when we're driving to see the relatives (I have gone through more than one portable DVD player solely to keep the kids entertained. An iPad could replace that), or at my relative's house (we stayed at my Dad's house over Christmas and he didn't even have a TV in the guest room. What kind of crazy person doesn't have a TV in the guest room?)

I can see playing games on it (my wife has an iPod Touch, and I think 95% of the apps she's downloaded are various games).

I could see watching dailies or reading scripts on it (productivity!)

And if I spent some time thinking about it, I'm sure I could come up with a lot more places/instances I could see using it, but just from those few things alone, it's already worth the price to me. Sure, I have a MacBook Pro, but for a lot of uses, I could see it not being as easy or comfortable to use as the iPad would be.

And I can certainly see my Dad or his wife using it (some of the non-tech people you mention). Over Christmas, I tried to show her how to put pictures from her camera onto her (Windows) laptop. There were just too many steps involved, she couldn't do it. But she uses her iPhone all the time with no problem. For her, an iPad is probably a very useful device, but I don't think she's the only potential market for the thing.