View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-24, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
VS Code shows some promise, and I give it "the old college try" every few months, but it still fails on a lot of critical paths for large Python projects. It definitely has the most potential of recent editors I've seen, though, and I use it for most other text editing on things like JSON, YAML, or shell scripts.

I think the idea of Panic building another new IDE is... neat? I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I have liked their products in years past, but now that I think about it, I haven't actually used any of their tools on a regular basis for a very long time now. This is also a pretty steep mountain to climb if it's going to be proprietary macOS-only software. The preview screenshots look good, which is no surprise from this company.
Right.

VS Code seems fairly popular these days. It has a ton of extensions, it's evolving fast, and so forth. I'm… not really living the text editor lifestyle, so it feels a bit weird compared to VS proper. OTOH, it is lean and mean.

(While it's Electron, it seems to avoid many of the weaknesses of that.)

Meanwhile, many of Panic's apps are pretty and… not… bad? But also kind of feel a bit more like case studies of what could be a cool product than an actual product.

Nova is aspirational, whereas VS Code is pragmatic.