Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-17, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
(...)

Mostly, I don't think Apple has all that many tricks up its sleeve. I think the functionality of the watch is going to be pretty much as we have seen. I also don't for a second think that the stainless steel model will cost anywhere close to $999.
I agree, both regarding the features and the price.

Of course I expect them to add features via software updates over time, but what we just saw seems like plenty for a first try. In fact, I was kinda overwhelmed by how much functionality they were presenting at the keynote. Better not to try too many things at once and kill the experience by for example sacrificing battery life.

Regarding the price, I think Gruber underestimates the fact that these first generation devices are at best going to last three years before they will be ripe for replacement. And charging luxury premiums for something like that is not easy to justify for ordinary middle class consumers. The steel/sapphire version might be better than the Sport, but it can still be seen as a sensible choice that won't stand out as conspicuous consumption. The Edition watches on the other hand, are a whole different thing. People who buy gilded (or solid gold) consumer electronics are either rich or irrational, so pricing works different on them.

My guess: Ordinary Watch $499 and Watch Edition $∞

Also, I loved Grubers term; "shit fit". It nicely describes all those fandroid comments on iPhone 6 reviews that suggest that Apple has paid off the reviewer. Because "how can that thing possibly be better than my HTC One M8?! It's impossible, it's a lie!!!! The Edition watches are indeed very likely to have an excellent troll factor on these guys.