View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-22, 15:48

I’m glad you started this thread, chucker. I was just about to ask kscherer to take all the discussion we had about future laptops in the Ive thread and spin that off into a new thread.

I think Apple is likely to prefer Ice Lake-U/Y to Comet Lake-U/Y, just because Apple always seems to prioritize graphics performance and the Gen11 graphics are supposed to be way better than Gen9.5 graphics, even though there are apparently no models on the horizon with eDRAM (sigh). The base 15W MacBook Pro only just bumped up to 4 cores; I don’t think they’re going to be itching to bump it up to 6 immediately if they can instead boost graphics performance dramatically.

But of course Apple would use Comet Lake-H to boost core counts on the models that use dedicated graphics (and there’s no Ice Lake-H anyway, so they’d kind of have to go that way).

I don’t want to be that guy, but…AMD’s upcoming 7nm 4000 series Ryzen Mobile parts, based on their third-gen Zen core called Zen2 (it’s not just Intel with fucked-up nomenclature!) sound hella compelling. They basically combine a Zen chiplet with up to 8 cores with an RDNA Navi GPU chiplet on a single die, so it’s almost like you have a discrete GPU, although of course it still shares system memory. And it comes in two lines: 15W 4000U, and 35W 4000H.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2019-08-22 at 16:16.