View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-23, 04:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's hard, because they're so reliant on Intel. What if Intel just can't get them Comet Lake-H in time?
It'll be weird to ship a major new line of laptops with… the same CPU, but it honestly isn't that big a deal either. It's a problem in messaging, not in substance. It's not like Coffee Lake Refresh has suddenly gotten stale or bad. It's still 14nm, but Comet Lake-H will be as well. Other than probably (we don't really know yet) adding two more cores, it isn't even that interesting. And for most apps, adding cores has diminishing returns.

I'd much rather see a laptop with a nicer keyboard now than wait half a year for a laptop with a CPU that will probably only be marginally better.

Quote:
That's when things get sticky, and they have to start making some harder choices. They could go with a year-old Coffee Lake Refresh chip,
It's from April! Apple wasn't even late to put it in.

LPDDR4 and Wi-Fi 6 would be nice, but we don't even know if Coffee Lake-H will offer those. Coffee Lake-Y does not, so… things are weird.

Quote:
I agree that the marketing is weird. "Pro" means different things across Apple's line-up. If you ask me, there shouldn't be a $1,299 "MacBook Pro" with 15W processors. That should just be the MacBook. But Apple clearly disagrees.
Yup.

Quote:
This new thing's definitely going to be priced like a Real Pro machine, though, at least at first. I think it really should be on the H-class chips, with a 10-core option. But I also think it should really have a 3:2 display, and it seems like they're going to stick with 16:10. So clearly Apple doesn't answer my calls.
I can never really get that worked up about ratios. 16:9 seems a bit too thin, but other than that…