View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 17:14

So, the current Apple TV HD (that Apple is still selling for…the same price) came out in fall 2015, and the Apple TV 4K came out in fall 2017. I think it’s interesting that we’re definitely due for another Apple TV device and, like, nobody cares. And this is supposed to be one of Apple’s four (now five, with iPadOS) pillars, one of their app platforms!

I know we talked about this in the “GamePod” thread but it seems like Apple really needs to rethink the Apple TV hardware…again.

Honestly the closest Apple TV ever came to being a genuine hit was when the third-generation model dropped to $69. They flew off the shelves then. That was what people wanted, a cheap player for iTunes stuff and streaming stuff and AirPlay stuff on their TV. And the tvOS-powered Apple TV was way more capable and way more elegant and nobody wanted it (outside of Apple loyalists), because it was way more expensive and honestly all the stuff it added wasn’t essential. It didn’t really take off as game platform in the same way iOS had. Nobody wanted to look at the Realtor app on their TV or whatever the heck Apple was trying to demo to show off the app-based future of television. People just wanted to watch stuff. Honestly the standout feature was the voice control, and voice remotes quickly became available on much cheaper products.

I think Apple should go back to that $69 streaming-focused Apple TV and make a modern version of that. Keep tvOS but don’t try to make it an app experience. You know how watchOS sort of evolved away from focusing on that honeycomb app view? tvOS should do the same. It should be built around the TV app, not a grid of icons. It needs to be turned inside out.

And make it way cheaper, because nobody is buying $150-200 anything to plug into their TV. It’s no man’s land. You can buy a whole smart TV for $200.

This presumably means they’ll have to get rid of the current touch-sensitive remote, but I’m not sure people will be shedding any tears over that. They should just make a good TV experience for people who either don’t have a smart TV or want a less terrible experience, and then price it to be as accessible as possible (so they can sell everyone TV+).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong