View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-26, 12:44

I always loved Everclear's "Santa Monica". I just thought that was such a watchable video. Just sets a mood for me, for some reason...makes me think about - and miss - California a bit.

Some other favorites:

Brian Setzer's "Gettin' in the Mood"...just fun, great visuals and he's, hands-down, the coolest guy walking the planet. Those cars, that hair, those tattoos, his guitar playing. My hero.

Mark Knopfler's "What It Is". The song gives me chills, and the video appeals to me.

Destiny's Child's "Bootylicious"...no, I'm serious! Sexy as can be. I've had a crush on Kelly Rowland (the one with the short hair and red streaks) for a good five years or so, and I love how she looks and dances here. And I think it's cool they stuck Stevie Nicks in there throughout, since it's her "Edge of Seventeen" song that they've sampled for the main hook.

Big Country's "Fields of Fire". So stirring...I can watch this every day. Makes me want to put on a kilt and stand on a hillside. What an awesome, unique band. RIP Stuart...

Lit's "Zip-Lock"...again, just another fun video with great visuals. I'd love to be at that party, for about 78 reasons.

Adam and the Ants' "Stand and Deliver". Opened my eyes to a different music and look. One of the earliest videos I remember seeing on MTV when I was in seventh grade or so.

R.E.M.'s "South Central Rain". Just takes me back to a specific time and place...late 80's in the South, when every band had jangly Rickenbackers and wanted to be the next R.E.M. Their older music like this makes me think of a couple of people, and it's both comforting and bittersweet.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' "Crimson and Clover". One word: RAAWRRRRRRRRR!

Loretta Lynn's "Miss Being Mrs.". A beautiful, simple song. If it doesn't get to you just a little bit, then you might already be dead. If you've seen "Coal Miner's Daughter" (or if you know anything about Loretta), then you know who she's singing about, and how heartfelt it must be. When she goes, it'll be another Johnny Cash type of loss. She's a giant in my book. She wrote all of those songs, which puts her a peg above so many of her contemporaries. Like Johnny, she's cooler than most people realize. And I'm afraid it'll take her being gone for others to realize what a force she was. Nothing but respect and admiration for Loretta Lynn...one of my all-time favorites. She never changed.

Don Henley's "Boys of Summer". The granddaddy of them all. I never get tired of this song. It's so beautiful and longing, and if it hits you just the right way, at the right time, it can blow a hole in your chest. The video is perfect for the song. It's a more somber, reflective counterpart to "Santa Monica" above; they strike me as similar songs (or they make me feel the same way...they just go about it a bit differently).

I'd mention Duran Duran, but they're kinda in the All-Time Hall of Fame, and it just seems pointless to bring up the obvious. Great stuff they did, I love them all. Most hold up surprisingly well. The uncensored "Girls on Film" was quite the sight for a young teen boy, and the absolute best bassline ever recorded for a pop song, IMO. You go, John!

There you have it. A little fun, a little heartbreak, a little sexiness...my favorite music videos.

Oh, honorable mention: he's a flaming asshat on wheels, but I love the video for Kanye West's "Gold Digger". Those womens are so sexy! I love those retro pin-up looks.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-08-26 at 12:55.