View Single Post
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-05-15, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
2.2/2.4 GHz MacBook Pro 15": S-IPS panel, LED backlight. Very good, SWOP certified.
All other MacBook Pro 15": S-IPS panel, CCFL backlight. Not bad, but not SWOP certified because the backlight is too uneven.
My 15" MBP 2.16Ghz is clearly using a TN panel. The above must be referring only to newer MBPs, since I've read elsewhere that MBPs uses TN panels. Now I want a new one even more

On another note, I just upgraded from 24" to 30"... It's unbelievably huge. Demos at the store does not confer the immenseness of 2560x1600.

Back in the day, I ordered a pair of Dell 2005FPW 20" wide-screen monitors. Quality wasn't acceptable (backlight bleed), and they were exchanged for the Dell 2405FPW 24" screen. I must honestly say that I got more use out of the 24"er than I'd have gotten from the pair of 20"ers.

Upgrading to 30" is almost overwhelming. Instead of windows taking up a large portion of the screen (on 24" it's ridiculous to maximize browser windows, but they still used the full top-to-bottom area), they take up a small part. Keeping the browser window the same size, it only takes up slightly more than a quarter of the total screen real-estate (down from slightly more than half the screen...)
My browser window is 1024 px wide and 1139 px high (guess I made it a bit taller) for 1.17Mpx, the screen is 4.1Mpx...

You have no idea what it's like to use a 30" screen until one have graced your desk. On the 24" screen, Firefox dominated the majority of the screen (more than half). Now it's just a free-floating window. Srsly. Try it.

EDIT: Oh, and my iTunes window, which used to take up almost the entire screen? It's just a small window now... This thing is truly incredible.

Converted 07/2005.