View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-21, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
It's a freaking big ass book so I knew the movie would be compact, but I felt like a million critical plot points were just flying right over my head and I was introduced several dozen things that were never adequately explained. What? Snape was teased in school by Harry's dad? Wait, what was that about the O.W.L.S.? What the hell is this 'room of prophecies'? Haggrid has a giant brother? blah blah blah
Agreed. I had several questions for my wife (the only one of the two of us to read the whole series) when the film was over. However, it wasn't enough for me to dislike the movie as a whole.

I think from here on out the movies will have to just be considered "supplemental material" for people who have already read the books. The later books and plot are so much longer and more complex and there's no way the filmmakers can squeeze the content into a two hour block. Unless they're willing to make the movies a bit longer (LotR:RotK extended version is nearly four hours, for example), the filmmakers will undoubtedly continue to confuse and lose the non-readers in the audience due to the amount of cut material.

Maybe there will be a DVD extended edition that fills in the gaps? I seriously doubt it, but it sure would be nice.

On the other hand, when the filmmaker blows screen time on
Spoiler (click to toggle):
a long and dramatic kissing scene that has its own song on the score when it was supposed to be just a little peck
, one loses even more confidence that they know what's best for representing the series.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.