View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-17, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If a mod thinks this movie needs a dedicated thread, knock yourselves out!
I'll let it stand. It's not like these things never get sidetracked.

I'm looking forward to it. I loved the original, and not for the characters. I loved it for the F-14 Tomcat. That was my favorite plane growing up. My dad was a pilot for 50+ years (single engine Cessna 180, 210, that sort of thing). I wanted to be a fighter pilot and came this close to joining the Navy. Got all the way to the final signature, even. The dude at the recruiting office told me I would be in "fighter school" right after boot camp. Got home and told my pilot dad and he practically laughed at me. I wore coke-bottle eyeglasses and had crappy grades and oh, by the way you have to go to college to be an officer, and you have to be an officer to fly. I thought my dad was trying to hold me back and waltzed into that recruiting office with my head held high and bought everything that recruiter said. He even showed me a row of duplexes on the southern coast of France and told me that was where they were stationing new recruits for "fighter school".

My second visit to the office, just as I was getting ready to sign my life over to Uncle Sam, a tick went off in the back of my head. There was something about that guy I just did not like, even as a stupid, young, average 17 year-old punk kid. I just did not trust him. So I walked out and my flirtation with military service was over.

All because of Top Gun. I built numerous F-14 models long before that movie came out, but that thing pushed me over the edge. I just loved that plane, and still do. I get goose bumps whenever I see one, including in the new trailers—even though there are only snippets and the Navy's fancy new replacement is the F-18 Super Hornet. Still, it gets me.

And, yes, the flight sequences were awesome then and they'll be better now.

And, no, Tom Cruise does not age. It isn't his thing. Dude is blessed with boyish good looks until he dies of old age. Must be something in the Scientology water.

Or something …

Either way, I'm looking forward to Maverick more than Star Wars, and that's saying a ton!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)