View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-30, 23:00

Oh, I feel plenty good about your place in this discussion.

To be honest, after Episode VI I always wanted more Star Wars movies. Then came the prequels and I was so disenfranchised that I didn't care much if they ever made another one. So, I know how you feel.

4-6 really were a crowing achievement in the Star Wars universe. Yet, when I go back and watch them, there are places where I just roll my eyes. There are bits of dialogue, effects mistakes, storyline inconsistencies, etc. that make me cringe, and those things become ever more glaring as we learn to hyper-analyze these films. This is why Episode III has moved up my ladder. I've had time to think about it, and there is one scene that was the crowning achievement of the prequels; the spot where everything should have come together. And because of that one thing, the big face-off between Anakin and Obi Wan that should have cemented the prequels forever, that movie has risen above the other 2 and 9/10ths of the three.

There are glaring issues with Episode VII, a titanic failure with Episode VIII, and a solid attempt to repair the damage with Episode IX. Truth is, I can find a solid handful of mistakes in every aspect of all 9 movies. None of them is perfect to me, and I wish that George Lucas had had his grand vision right now, when effects technology is at its height. That's why I like Episode VII more than Episode IV. Perhaps it is the same story, but the cinematography is so much better. The sound and the effects are so much better. That makes the same story come out so much more entertaining, at least for me.

Had Episode IV never happened, we would be comparing all future Star Wars movies to The Force Awakens. But, that cannot and will not happen. Star Wars hit when sci-fi movies were about as cheesy as they could get. It took the polish off the universe and made it look used at a time when we were all hyped up for something fantastic. That will be forever etched into our memories and compared against. There is no stopping such things.

I'm glad you have that. It's a tasty little piece of your childhood you should never let go of. It meant something to you and still does. It's a "get off my lawn" moment that should stand the test of time. So be it.

There are new and fun possibilities for Star Wars coming in the future. There will be shows and spin-offs and new movie delights based on a host of new characters. Perhaps Rey will find a home in one or tow or three of them. And I'm okay with that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)