Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-10, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
One thing that wasn't clear was using the watch as a phone. Am I going to be talking to this thing like Penny in Inspector Gadget?
Her computer watch is actually what I have been considering the ideal smart watch all along. We'll, if we take out the ridiculously powerful laser and hacking tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
As I was saying in another thread, when I think about it I'm not sure there's even that much of a downside for the Watch to need an iPhone. The one use case I've seen where that's a problem is running-- but a lot of the functionality is still there, just not GPS.

So given that a watch is never going to replace your phone outright (the fact that Apple was obliged to make bigger phones should be proof enough of that), how often are you going to be wearing a smart watch but inexplicably not want to have your phone?
I don't think that is a given at all. Why bother with two devices when you can just have one. Sure there are many things that the Apple Watch presently can't do that the iPhone can. But Apple just showed us a lot new UI innovations that made the current Apple Watch practical, so why stop here? In the future there may even be some way of browsing the internet on it and then smart phones might just be reduced to some sort of tethered screen like headphones are for sound today.

To take another page from Inspector Gadget, Penny always wore her watch, but when she needed to some something more fancy she brought along her bigger computer book for such purposes. Sort of like having an Apple Watch for the usual things to do and then an iPad for the tasks that do require a big screen. Having in-between devices are just wasteful clutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
You get a arm/bicep case for your iPhone, you put the watch on your wrist, and then you clip an iPod shuffle to your shirt (or ear), have the Beats headphones connected to the nano in your pocket (for the FM radio). Simple...what's the problem?
Now that is so not the Apple way!