Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-10, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I don't think that is a given at all. Why bother with two devices when you can just have one. Sure there are many things that the Apple Watch presently can't do that the iPhone can. But Apple just showed us a lot new UI innovations that made the current Apple Watch practical, so why stop here? In the future there may even be some way of browsing the internet on it and then smart phones might just be reduced to some sort of tethered screen like headphones are for sound today.
I went into it further in the other thread, but basically I'm looking at the reasons that people demanded a bigger iPhone-- because they like to watch movies, look at pictures, read more of a web page at once, play games with more immersion, etc.

For the foreseeable future, watches can't do any of that. Not do it somewhat less well so you can weigh the tradeoff, but can't. At all. No one in their right mind is going to try to browse the web on a 1.7" screen. Or watch a movie. Or watch streaming video. Or try to read anything more than a few lines of text.

So sure, at some point there might be some kind of virtual screen technology that isn't repellent to the average person like Google Glass, but if the question is "why bother with two devices when you can just have one" the answer is "because you can't." Not now and not anytime soon. By the time magic brain implant (literally) heads up displays happen, we can see what Apple does with it, but for this watch and these phones, and what people want to do with phones, today, there's no such thing as a wrist sized replacement.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated