View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-23, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It seems like auto correct has gotten a lot worse since iOS14 came out. Possibly because it’s using the neural engine to guess what you want, rather than just providing the word with the closest spelling like it used to? That’s just how it seems anyway.
Yeah, I think it's been using machine learning for a while. More like since about iOS 10, though.

I find that it helps if you just keep typing a few more words; then it tries to fix those. (Which, of course, can also go quite wrong, and then it's extra-confusing. I wish it highlighted that in yellow or something? "Hey, I just changed these. Does that look right?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yep, that’s about the time it seemed to go a little sideways. I think you once explained it to me that they changed some under-the-hood/behind-the-scenes stuff that altered how it all worked, but that accuracy suffered.
It's more of a speculation, I think. I'm not sure Apple ever confirmed it (maybe they did announce it at some point? I don't think so), but it does seem like they made a significant change years ago where it uses machine learning to do a lot more contextual guesswork.

People seem to have… mixed experienced with it. I know someone who just shut it off altogether, and I can't blame her. Personally(!), it seems to work right… maybe 70% of the time? Often enough that I wouldn't want to turn it off. I don't mean to brush off others' far worse experiences with it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Auto-correct has no value if all it’s doing is making me sound like a drunken, sub-literate lunatic. I can manage that all on my own, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So I took a few minutes to look over DND and it didn't bring over my settings.
Ugh.