View Single Post
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-05-25, 11:19

Ah, see I'd only ever played the game on an old DOS machine, so I had to use the keyboard for all the controls, and have no idea what the arcade layout is.

Quote:
The whole thing is seems to be designed to be a pig to play. But once you master it it's like playing an instrument. When you consider that it was made by Pinball designers that kind of makes some sense. A lot of work went into the control layout, feel, and also the quality of the mechanical bits.

I probably sound like a nut here, but the skill required for Defender and Stargate is the closest I think you can get to a martial art in video games. It seems like it's very fast and frenetic, and incredibly unforgiving to the casual player. But once you get into it it's an awful lot about inertia and elegance. Once you are hooked it kind of changes your life. Like Marmite, or Vegemite, you either love it or hate it. You are either a Defender dude or a n00b. There is no half way house.
I did however find this to be true even when using a keyboard, there was very, very precise control necessary in order to play the game, not sure how the iPhone will respond to that, but I hope you could pull it off!

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me