View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Thankfully, my code seems to be pretty light in terms of resource demands. It only ever looks at one region at a time (including its constituent 1024 "16x16" chunks), and although it does have to parse and load all of the region's data and chunks' data into memory when working on it, we're probably talking on the order of tens of megabytes, maybe a hundred for a region that's packed to the gills with stuff... but nothing too crazy. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually profiled this, but running the commands to export or import biome data on a region takes ~20 seconds, and that's fast enough for me that I haven't really put any thought into profiling.)
I was totally wrong! Sort of.

I actually did some memory profiling, and it turns out that when processing the "0.0" region (with our spawn location), the export functionality consumes ~210 MB and the import functionality consumes ~340 MB. Each run still only takes about 10-20 seconds, and that's fast enough that I would still safely consider the memory pressure from these operations just a blip on the radar.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.