View Single Post
Partial
Stallion

2008-06-08, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Because it's Google?

Would you trust a megacorporation that makes money from indexing documents and selling advertisements based on the content of said documents with keeping your own personal and private documents? If you just need scratch space for something you don't need to keep private, Google Docs is great.

Even if you think Google is a completely trustworthy storage mechanism, Google Docs are transmitted in plain text, introducing another major security concern.
Since when is your gmail account and google docs account made publically available?

Are we really worried about someone hacking in to Google or hacking into my personal machine?!?

The biggest thing I would worry about is losing the laptop and having your documents there for everyone to read. If someone is smart enough to hack into your computer or Google, I am sure they are savy enough to beat some encrypted document format.

Even so, as others have stated, with all the other unencrypted data transferred across the web, what are the odds someone is going to pick up your book?!? It just seems far fetched to me.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...