View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-19, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic
You seem not to grasp Apple very well. They make money selling hardware.
They make money selling a platform. A complete package. Or, as Microsoft would put it, an "ecosystem".

Quote:
So people who have bought a Mac will always prefer Mac OS X over Windows as their basic OS. Wether Windows has been installed or not. This means that every reason that existed to port applications to the Mac, will remain.
For users, yes. For developers? Not at all.

Quote:
Practically, the only difference will be that the part of the VPC package that emulated an Intel PC has become obsolete, since it's functionality is going to be offered by Apple out of the box at native speed.
That makes the emulation obsolete, but not the virtualization.

Quote:
What would *you* do if you were them? Don't tell me you'd boycot software of any kind??? Have they ever done that, if it were not for historical hardware restrictions???
I just cited Phil in my previous post. I'm sorry to see that reading is not one of your highest proficiencies.

I said, specifically, that it is indeed possible according to Phil, so it is very official. But he also quite clearly stated that Apple won't support it.

Quote:
And concerning Apple saying they're "not supporting" Windows on Macs: of course they say so! They need developers to port as much to Mac OS X as they can.
Um, yes, exactly. So aren't we contradicting ourselves a little here?

Quote:
And I expect that only a small percentage of current Mac users *will* install Windows on their Macs, so those developers won't find them doint all the porting for nothing.
If there's so few people, then why would Apple bother creating a virtualization software?

Quote:
But think of all the possible *new* customers that *will* install Windows.
For what exact reason?