View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-15, 13:50

Holy Crap™!!

Wowzers and yowzers!

It's a Paul!!

Woo and hoo!

Oh, sorry. Just had a minor shart and headsplosion right there. Age, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Does it seem to have a plan or some sort of "we know what we're doing/going" type of arc (as opposed to any of the theatrical releases)?
So, yeah. There does seem to be some direction to the show. It ended with the idea that this cagey, reckless bounty hunter is somewhat merciful, and will struggle with the immediate future, which seems to involve going against the Bad Guys™. The entire, 30-minute episode felt good and fresh, and left with a cliffhanger thing that makes me want to see episode 2. Heh, Episode 2. That's funny. There is also a "Halo" effect to the show, since the Mandalorian does not remove his helmet. It makes us want him to remove it so we can see the face back there, much as we wanted Master Chief to do so. i like that. There is a mysterious side to it.

As I said, there was a bit where it felt just a little too slow, like maybe they didn't really know who this guy is or his purpose in the SW universe. But I felt like they got back on track toward the end, if perhaps a bit too quickly. I don't want to give things away, so I'll stop with that.

Time will tell if there is anything to it. If this was all that Disney had, I would still subscribe to check it out, but there is a lot of other stuff, including the entirety of The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels, and more (even a bunch of Lego stuff).

As far as Episodes 7 & 8 are concerned, I loved 7 and hated 8. With 9 on the near horizon and JJ Abrams in charge, I have A New Hope that the ship may get righted, but it's a small hope. The more I think about the whole thing, the more I realize that 7 was an Episode 4 remake intended to drive the story toward a new, younger audience. But, Episode 8 was this horrific dig at my 40 years of Star Wars fandom. It was an overly political, poorly conceived, disgusting attack on the entirety of the SW universe, and I was insulted to the point that I have not watched it a second time. Seriously, I have seen every other SW movie at least 10 times (even the crap that is 1-3), but I have only seen 8 one time. There is a piece of me that thinks Disney recognizes the damage Episode 8 did and that 9 has to get things back on track, much in the same way that the whole of 1-3 is just kind of ignored, as if it never happened. If 9 bombs, then for me SW will be drilled down to a quadrilogy of movies that spans from Episode 4 through Episode 7, and ends there.

P.S. I should ban you for 24 hours for staying away so damned long!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-11-15 at 14:04.