View Single Post
Boomerangmacuser

2007-05-02, 18:39

If you get bitten by the cycling bug your shiny new ride will soon look like these . But a well used bike is a good thing. I think it's the best way to get fit because you're contantly going to new places. I just don't undestand the whole stationary bike thing (unless it's facing a yoga class ). You'll quickly outgrow your little loop and start venturing further afield. Your loop will be reserved for 'quickies'. If youstart riding in groups you'll notice pubs tend to be the destination of choice. In University our motto was "Pitcher of water... Pitcher of beer... In that order please!"

I've been a serious recreational rider for over 20 years. I have a mountain bike and a touring bike. Sorry no pics. 3 must haves in order of importance: 1) helmet (get it before you regret it), 2) lock (to keep that shiny newness), 3) repair kit (don't be left stranded)

I just starting riding with my neighbor who has one of those fancy heart rate monitors with gps built in. It tracks distance, avg speed, max speed, calories, elevation gain, heart rate by time etc. He can google map his route and download the whole thing to a training program so ha can track progess. It's amazing. It's also 10X the cost of my little $15 bike computer. I just love seeing what my max speed was after a good hill. My Best is 81 Km/h in the hills of Vermont. Yeeeahhhhh!