View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-05-03, 09:04

Cannondales are weird. But the quality of the finish (welds, etc.) is spectacular.

Do you have tri-bars, Lurch104? They make a big difference in time trials and triathlons where you're not allowed to draft. I'm not a great tester (especially if it's flat) as I just don't have the sustained power and pain tolerance needed, but I can beat some guys with higher sustained wattage because I ruthlessly stay on the aero bars (or drops depending on the bike), and ride with my back as flat as possible, elbows in line with knees and knees nearly touching the top tube.* When you ride at speed, upwards of 90% of your power output is dissipated by air resistance (drag). And because the power required varies as the cube of your speed (e.g. doubling your speed requires 8x more power), you can save a lot of energy by making small tweaks to your position.

This is why I love cycling, and especially road racing. The strongest rider doesn't always win because so much of good cycling is technique and tactics, i.e. dirty tricks.

* Of course there are still VO2-max monsters who, despite riding with a bad position, blast past me so fast I nearly asphyxiate in their wake. Life's a bitch.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.