Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-02, 12:49

I also love my Watch but have noticed a few things about it.

Typically everything mirrors iPhone so I don't have to worry about it going in DND as another gadget to change. I love the fact that it doesn't do duplicate alerts from my phone. As it is, this morning I got 1400 email messages because a server I managed was under a massive distributed brute force attack. Having my iPad and iPhone both going off for each notice was already too much, adding the Watch to that too would have had me throwing devices.

I generally agree about the Apps, most of them anyway. I personally have limited the number of apps that are on my Watch from the ones that are available because of the companion iPhone app. You can see those in the screen caps below.

Since I only walk or cycle for my workouts I haven't had too hard of a time using the apps. Admittedly, it is not easy or the most intuitive trying to navigate the options while peddling or at full pace when walking. I don't hate the interface, but it is hard when you're sweaty. This doesn't shock me though, my iPhone is a pain when I'm sweaty.

The Watch is really slow and now even more so running the beta. I'm just going to chalk that up to the beta software but it was never as fast as I hoped it would be. Given that my battery life dropped drastically in switching to the beta doesn't help either. I used to be able to end the day with 20-30% charge remaining. Now I'm always below 10% or have stopped to charge it at least for a little bit. I'm again trying to chalk that up to being beta bugs.

I've gotten to where I rely on my Watch more and more though. I do use it as a Watch foremost though. I still pull my phone out of my pocket, but now it is generally because reading and responding to the text is easier on it than the Watch. I use Siri on the Watch way more than I ever did on my phone, but I hate looking like a douche talking to Siri on my Watch in public.

Here are my screens of my Watch as of now. Zoomed in followed by zoomed out:

I hardly ever use most of them outside of complications on my watch face. I never use iCal, Maps, Mail, Music, World Time, Alarms, Pictures, Stocks, or Phone directly (though I have answered incoming calls). Remote is currently broken for my because of what looks like a Home Sharing bug with the betas. That was one I used all the time before.

My two most used are Activity and Alarm.com by far. Remote shutter control for my phone is awesome, but not practical most of the time because I have to find a place to prop my phone up to be able to do much with it. It also doesn't have the ability to start video recordings, only still shots. This is a bummer. I'd likely use it more if I could control video starts and stuff like an action cam.

MacID, awesome. Being able to unlock the Mac with my Watch is better than pulling out my phone and using the Touch ID.

Overall, I'm still absolutely thrilled with my purchase and don't regret a dime of it. While I'm looking forward to faster and more powerful models in the future, I'm loving this one more than any other device I've gotten from Apple in a long time. It really does everything I was hoping it would and it simplifies my life, a lot.

As a bonus, my current watch face:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.