View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-05-20, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
i argue that without jeri ryan, obama's rise to the white house would have been a lot harder. someone else will need to connect the not so difficult dots...
Jeri Ryan was married to Jack Ryan, a Republican who won the nomination for the 2004 Illinois US Senate race. Apparently, Jack was a sex-crazed lunatic who brought Jeri to swingers' clubs and also berated her for her appearance (how anyone could criticize Jeri Ryan's appearance, I don't know). So they got a divorce and she gave all the juicy details of Jack's sexual deviancy, leading him to withdraw from the race. As such, the Republicans really had no chance of winning that seat - which ended up going to Barack Obama.

I don't know which of the two candidates was the favorite before Jack withdrew, but whenever a candidate pulls out of a race without much notice, it basically guarantees that the other party's candidate will win. Although Illinois is generally a very Democratic-leaning state, the incumbent senator (who was retiring) was a Republican.