Thread: Exploring caves
View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-31, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Amazing how many different "types" of caves there are. That first one looks absolutely surreal. Almost makes me think they should classify them differently. Though I'm not USGS expert; maybe they classify them differently already.
Oh yeah, Moogs, I imagine they have a million different names and classifications for caves. I wonder where cynical rock is tonight? He should be able to englighten us on this matter.

Quote:
Still there's something really scary but also really cool about repelling down a cave. Sort of like you know nothing's down there but your imagination gets the better of you and you'd always wonder if you'll be able to get back up.
Of course, with any of these sports, they do have tragedies that happen on a regular basis, like that base-jumping guy last week. Poor guy. So I imagine cavers 'have' gotten in places they couldn't get out of, and sometimes died there, especially if they'd had a fall. The fact that plenty of things 'can' go wrong, and sometimes do, is what makes these sports both terrifying 'and' exciting.

And btw, the cave I went in had cave spiders - like daddy-long-legs type spiders, as well as cave crickets (iirc), worms that glowed in the dark, and iirc something swimming in the pools (fish?) that didn't have eyes because there was *no* light whatsoever, and there hadn't been for a loooong time.