View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-15, 10:08

Can I get a larger/faster hard drive installed in my PowerBook without voiding the AppleCare thing? Could an Apple authorized repair center (or the Apple store itself) do this, so everything's cool?

I recently bought the additional two years, so I'm covered until October 2006. But if, at some point, I wanted to replace the current 80GB/4200rpm drive with a, say, 120 or 160GB/5400rpm drive, do I void that? Is there a way to get a new drive and NOT monkey with the coverage?

I will be getting a camcorder in the first half of 2005, so I was just looking ahead a bit and curious. A year from now, 80GB might not feel as roomy as it does now. And if I go up in capacity, I may as well go up in speed a bit (since that option is a BTO on the PowerBooks, it must be an acceptable, technically-feasible upgrade: 4200>5400rpm).

Part two to my question: any brand or particular specs I should consider? What does Apple use? Is this a 2.5" hard drive? Are they universal? Will any brand "fit" (mounting and space issues)? Any heat or power concerns to be aware of? Are there one or two universally agreed-upon "this is the one you want!" PowerBook hard drives? Looking for a 120GB minimum, 5400rpm.