View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-25, 10:56

I would argue that it does mitigate most vectors. If you connect the cameras to remote services outside of your HomeKit local network then you are open. The article is less about hacking and an inside person adding their own credentials.

This isn't a problem with HomeKit or an internal CCTV setup. HomeKit allows pretty much anyone to do it while adding security into the mix. Sure if you give up your AppleID you will give access, otherwise it is pretty solid.

I can't argue that if it is on the internet it is hackable. All that takes is time and resources. Some less than others. I haven't spaced how HomeKit Secure Video connects from say your iPhone while out of the house to the HomeKit Hub to see the video. I'm near positive it if encrypted, but I haven't personally checked.

Personally, I've moved away from HomeKit Secure Video because no products came in time for me to fill my needs. I'm running and internal IP Cam network with VPN access now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.