View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 12:20

I've never bought the "colored iMac" thing. Just seems so pointless (and, yes...I know, at one point - 20 years ago - that's exactly what Apple was doing). But...that was 20 years ago. They're not doing a lot of things now they "used to do".

Colors on a flat-screen iMac - made of aluminum, vs. curvy, translucent plastic - makes even less sense, IMO. Most computers are placed on a desk or alcove (or cubicle) that butts up against a wall. You're rarely seeing an iMac from the back (which is where most the color would be seen, that large expanse of aluminum). At least the jellybean iMacs had that nice egg-like side view to show off the tangerine, grape, Indigo, Flower Power, graphite, etc. options. But you barely see anything from the side on a modern iMac...that 1-2" rounded pooch in the back that is only seen if you're standing directly beside/behind it. So would they go through all that just so the stand/base is seen in color (or a thin sliver around the display) in most instances? I just can't see that. What a huge waste of time, manufacturing, warehousing/stocking, etc. energy and resources.

So, no...the color thing will truly surprise me.

The only thing I want to see happen, color-wise, on any new Macs is just a nice, subtle tweaking of the basic aluminum color. Something between the current silver they've used forever and space grey, that visually says "next-generation AS-based Macs". I'd be totally cool with that, because it would make a bit of sense, big picture...they're different on the inside, so they can be a little different on the outside too. After 15+ years of silver aluminum, it's time to change it up a bit. Nothing crazy, just something that sets it off a bit from what they've been (and when the Air and Mac mini get updated, they can get that new shade too). In fact, kill space grey, gold, etc. on Macs. Just have the new shade of aluminum on all AS/M-based Macs, across the board. If I ran things, that's what I would do: hammer home these are new, next-generation Macs...and you can tell just by a glance they're not ones from the previous 15 years.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-19 at 14:01.