Thread: Mac Mini 2020
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-03, 08:22

Yeah, I may not need a $300 monitor. I'd like something decent, for sure. But I'm certainly not needing anything in the $600+ neighborhood. I do vector illustration, and less of it now than ever, so my demands aren't super high end (no serious video or imaging/photo-based work, I don't game at all, etc.).

That will be my flexible area. But since I've never even thought about third-party displays (always an iMac or notebook), that's something I'll have to bone up on and educate myself on (brands, specs/features, etc.).

In fact, any help/suggestions in that area are appreciated. My tasks are listed above. I don't need anything 27" or larger. In fact, 24" is the absolute largest I need. For 11 years all I knew was a 20" display, and for the last 16 months, a 13" (so 24" will feel huge). It just can't be complete crap, but I don't need every bell-and-whistle in existence either. Just something that looks good enough to draw on and offer reasonable accuracy, will last, etc. I suppose I'm kinda spoiled on Retina now, so I suppose it should be that sort of resolution? I probably need to go to Office Depot and/or Best Buy and see what 24" looks like in real life, 4K and otherwise, and then go from there...

And if I can find a refurb M1 mini with 16GB RAM/256GB SSD, that'll be well under the $899 new price too. So, yeah, it could be more in the $1,000-1,100 range, for sure if I go refurb, and/or go a bit cheaper on the monitor.

I like that even an M1 Mac mini comes with regular USB ports, meaning I don't have to go and buy any sort of dongle to connect my phone or thumb drive, the way I would on the others. It's future-looking (M1, Thunderbolt, etc.), but they still included two "regular" USB ports, which are nice, still.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-03 at 08:42.