View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-05-07, 14:51

Yep. I also severely lament the loss of CentOS. I "grew up" learning on Red Hat Linux (before Enterprise) in the early aughts, and continued with RHEL and CentOS in professional and personal settings.

The Ars post Dave linked has an excellent description of how CentOS Stream is built, and its list of RHEL alternatives is pretty comprehensive. Unfortunately, I wouldn't really recommend any of them for reasons varying from trust (Oracle? LOL please) to age/maturity and general adoption rate.

I don't have a lot of long-running Linux machines today, but I'm probably going to slowly transition anything I maintain to some flavor of Debian, maybe Ubuntu if I can cleanly rip out all its telemetry. AppleNova's server here is running a relatively old version of CentOS that has gone through many changes over the years, and I've been meaning to upgrade for a while anyway, but at this point, I'm far more likely to trash and rebuild the whole damn thing clean on Debian stable.

On the professional side, pretty much all my work in recent years has been in Docker containers. Some have been built on UBI (basically "bare-bones RHEL"), alpine, fedora, or any other distro I don't know or care about since it's part of another base image. RHEL or CentOS rarely enter the equation any more.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.