Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-27, 11:35

OK. A few more tidbits:

1) If your cat/dog/parrot/rabbit/rabid kid chews up your power supply, good luck! So far, they are not available at retail nor as service parts, and I suspect they are going to be in thin supply (I will update this as I get more info). This (and the KB/MS/TP) are a bad move service-wise, as no replacement parts are available yet. Also, if you need to take your 2021 iMac in for service, make sure you take your power supply with you. We normally have all kinds of power cables/supplies laying about, but not for these things.

2) After we do a data migration or any other setup, we like to pack the computer back into the box as closely as new as possible so our customers can have a nice unpacking experience. Holy cow, these things are like, well, ever unpack a Barbie play set? I have a daughter, so I've unpacked a million of them. And there is no way on this planet you can get those things back into the box they came in. The new iMac is just like that! Good grief, Charlie Brown! Between the cardboard-wrapped cables, the finicky scratch-jacket, and all the plastic sticky-wrappers, this is by far the most annoying packaging Apple has ever come up with. From a 1st-time opening experience, it's quite good. After that, though …

3) Still no sign of glare from the display (when it's on and running). It's just that good! Beyond the M1, this is the real "bright" spot. That display is just outstanding!

This is a very good computer. My complaints are mostly with superficial packaging issues, the "rocking" thing (although this is no problem unless Felix gets rambunctious), and the toss-it-all-at-the-wall-for-attentioin-to-detail-color-matched things are a bit over the top. I get Apple's desire for attention to detail, but this thing is just way over the top and could create a replacement-parts customer service nightmare down the road. I get the KB/MS/TP, put the power supply and lightning cable? Apple should not have released these things until they had enough parts inventory to immediately make them available, especially for service. A dog is going to chew one of these cords, and then the customer is gonna be stuck—and flipping angry as hell!

No. Good. At. All!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-05-27 at 12:00.